Tuesday 17 December 2013

Wearing a saree ...


The idea of a saree fascinates me. It’s beautiful, One single cloth that can be draped in 217 different ways. When I rewind and go back to take a walk down the saree wear memory lane, it takes me through some interesting and memorable moments. The first time I wore a saree was for my school farewell, I still remember driving my mother crazy in a hunt for a saree. I remember how exciting it was when i finally found a saree i liked, searched for matching accessories, shoes and then pleaded my neighbour to drape it for me. Our school farewell marked the end of our school days. I still remember that bitter sweet feeling. Those tears we shed, we knew that hardly any of us would meet often. We were not wrong.


Anyway, leaving that nostalgia aside, I feel that a saree is the best outfit a woman can wear. It’s elegant, an excellent attention grabber, adapts to your figure – I know that most of us are very conscious about our attire matching or suiting our figures. Well, I have learnt that the Saree is just the right thing for such a purpose. One can adjust one’s style of draping a Saree to one’s figure. Tall and slim? Wrap it closely with an unpleated, long pallu. It will enhance your height without making you look too thin or bony. For a stout figure on the other hand, wear it a little loosely with a well pleated and pinned pallu so that it doesn’t make you look bulky and gives you a touch of elegance. Then again, you can play around with the prints and patterns and styles of blouses and couple them with the right accessories. There are permutations and combinations to suit everyone. You can’t deny that it’s a sexy outfit and can make anybody look amazing.
But all said and done, It was now my turn to wear a saree for a day called the ‘Tie and Saree Day’ in college. As much as I Love the Saree, I had this strong feeling that i wouldn’t be able to carry it off and more than that, I live nowhere close to college, so travelling in something like that would lead to nothing but disappointment. ( What if it falls off and all :P ) At the same time, I did not want to play spoilt-sport so I hesitantly went on a saree hunt. As i looked out for Sarees, My enthusiasm suddenly built up and I was all excited about wearing it. After a long search, I finally found a saree I really liked, I picked up a simple, but really classy saree. For the blouse, since it was too late to stitch one, I wore my black sleeveless crop top which luckily went amazingly well with the saree.
Here are a few pictures :
( A candid picture clicked by Clayton )

                   
( Me, lost in random acts of foolishness )




(Thats Nikita, she always finds a quirky way out)

 ( And, This is Mr. Photographer )


At the end of this, I learnt that When a Saree is draped in the right manner and is pinned up in the required places, not only is it elegant, it is easy to handle (you DO NOT need to struggle with even one inch of the cloth; just let it comfortably BE on you.) Once you get used to the feel of it, you’ll realize that whoever that intelligent woman was who first draped it the way we do, took the idea of ‘leg space’ very seriously. There is a reason why there are so many pleats to a Saree. Not only does it look pretty but when you walk, the pleats provide enough cloth that flexes- accordion like- to make room for your legs!

So, step out of your comfort zone and do wear a saree at least once. Trust me, You’ll fall in Love with yourself. 

I did.

Your views ans suggestions are most welcomed. :)

Lots of Love,
Alisha.

4 comments: